Friday, December 3, 2010

pray for peace, people, everywhere

12-3
song of the day: 'do you hear what i hear?'
it's friday! and tomorrow i'll be heading down to dallas. i'm much less nervous today and i'm thankful for that. but there's something that's been weighing on my heart lately. on tuesday, a girl was sexually assaulted while running on one of the local jogging trails. this happened out in the open, in a public area and a place that i run all the time. i had actually run there that same morning and saw a vehicle in the parking lot that matched the description she gave in the police report. i have no idea who this girl is, i think she may be a university student, i'm not sure. but i hurt for her. it just makes me so angry that there are men out there who would seek to steal and destroy. to me, it goes so much further than him forcing his lust on her when it was clearly unwanted, but that he obviously felt she was worthless. she will live her whole life with the emotional scars from that encounter and it just makes me so sad. i think i'm more sensitive to this since i had my dog attack. when i ran out at my parents' house at thanksgiving, a dog who was just being inquisitive came out of his yard and sniffed at my feet. i stopped running, covered my face and starting sobbing and screaming. not that the dog was mean, it's just still so raw in my mind that i get freaked out when i see any dog whatsoever. i can't imagine what this girl will have to go through.
i know it's a bit heavy for a friday, but i just want you all to know that you are worth protecting. i run with mace and am thinking about getting a second one to put in my bag or car, and i would urge you guys to do the same. and please just take care to know your surroundings and if you do run, to only go where it's out in the open and that someone knows what route you're taking. and tell your friends to be careful too. the more we are aware the more protected we'll be. and we are worth it :)
12-3
12-3
12-3
details:
blouse-vintage
cardigan-target
shorts-thrifted
loafers-dexter, thrifted

16 comments:

Ana said...

How horrible! I can only imagine what she must be going through. I'm sorry you're still hurting too. I'm thinking of getting some mace. I was assaulted at the bus stop last week after asking someone to put out a cigarette - thrown on the ground and kicked in the head. They ran away before the cops got there. All of this really makes me feel bad about the world.

Eleanor said...

What an awful story!
I guess what we need to remember is that there are still good people out there...stories like this are so powerful that they overshadow goodness...
On Black Friday a customer spit in the face of one of my managers because the line was "too long". I was on the other side of the building and ran to her side when I heard. She took it in great stride, but a part of me couldn't help but wish to get my hands on the *&%$#@ who would do something like that...who do people think they are?
Anyway, off my soapbox for now, safe travels to Dallas and while you are out running!

Eleanor ~ Shopping The Closet

Snappy-Q said...

Oh dear, that poor girl. I will definitely be thinking of her and praying for her.
I think it is good that you shared this so that people (women) are a little more aware of their surroundings, and of taking steps to be more safe.
I am sorry to hear that you are still affected by your run-in with that dog, I hope in time that you will heal from that too.
Have a great time in Dallas!

FutureLint said...

That plaid shirt is perfect on you and I love the tall socks!

That is so sad! That is one of the reasons I got a treadmill for my house, I just don't feel safe sometimes, especially when there was a guy exposing himself to women this summer on the bike and running trails by my house. I once had a guy try to get in my house when I was in college and it was the scariest thing ever! It was broad daylight and he just took out his penis when I answered the door and tried to come inside and it was the worst thing ever (though it could have been much, MUCH worse had I not been able to slam and lock the door before he got inside!) The world is so screwed up sometimes.

Annie, The Friendly Fox said...

Oh, my heart goes out to that poor girl! What a horrible, heartbreaking experience to have to endure.
I'm glad you're being safe when you run, and that you're spreading the word about the importance of that.

stay safe, pretty girl.

archives vintage said...

wow. thank you for this post. that is just horrible...that poor girl. im glad you have mace - and you should get another one!

i had a very bad experience of attempted rape when i was 20. it really shook me up for a few years, and to this day i am still SO thankful i managed to get myself out of that situation before worse happened. my heart really goes out to anyone who has been raped, molested or assaulted - its unimaginable.

our neighborhood sucks, and i have a long walk to/from the train to work...i DO NOT EVER leave the house without mace. EVER. the one i have (mark bought it for me, but im almost positive he got it on amazon) is a keychain and came with two in one package. so whenever i have my keys, i have mace. highly recommend it.

get a back up, my dear! and be safe. xoxo

on a lighter note...good luck sunday!

amanda said...

wow, i had no idea how many of you had been victims of assault (or nearly so). my heart just breaks. but you guys are just awesome and i really appreciate every single one of you!!!

Anna Katrina said...

wow how scary and sad!! be careful when you run

fyi you look adorable i love the knee high socks



stop by sometime<3
http://passportglamour.blogspot.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Goodness that is very scary. Do not fear though, for the Lord is with you and will protect you. Just cry out to God when you are fearful in that area. It is good that you are cautious like that. It is horrible that anyone would want to assault anyone at all. I pray that you will be able to find peace and that this girl that did get attacked will be able to find healing through this rough situation.

Great outfit by the way. Hope all goes well on your trip that you're going on!

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

i posted something similar to this in the summer - attacks like that are all too common here. please stay safe!

Ana said...

On hopefully a less horrible note, I am thinking of having guest bloggers for the week of December 13th when I have my last thesis presentation and will be completely swamped. Would you be interested in doing a guest post?

C said...

How terrifying. It is just horrifying to me that this kind of thing even happens.

Also, good luck with your marathon! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.

And finally, I LOVE the outfit! The plaid shirt, the knee socks...it's all just lovely. :)

Madilyn Peiper said...

It hurts me to think that you're still mentally suffering from your dog attack. No one should have to live in fear, especially of our four legged friends. Have you considered talking to someone? Maybe a professional?

On a lighter note, how's your second hand and handmade Christmas shopping going? I just found a refurbished/used xbox 360 for quite a bargain!

Coury Combs said...

Wonderfully said.
& darling shirt!

Unknown said...

I hope that woman has the support of family and friends that she needs. I'm really glad that she did go to the police, though. That alone is such a huge step. My boyfriend's always saying he wants me to buy a mace can to keep on my keys, and I think I really ought to. Living in the community I do, I almost always feel quite safe, but, well, I think the reality is that I'm not.

And, of course, a fabulous outfit! You're inspiring me to get over my insecurities and just bust out my high socks :)

xoox
Sophi

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I know what you mean. I have pepper spray that I keep meaning to haul around with me, even though I think it's illegal in this country.

Your shirt is really, really great, meanwhile!