Friday, January 14, 2011

sometimes i cook

admittedly, i don't enjoy cooking nor am i particularly good at it. i have a few recipes that i think i do well, signature dishes we may call them. and wednesday night i made a chickpea and spinach curry that i dare say is pretty tasty so i thought i'd share it with you!
photo-11
ingredients:
small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic (i use the cheater version in the jar)
1 tsp fresh ginger
olive oil
2 tbs curry paste (i used red)
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 c water
14 oz can of chickpeas
1 lb of fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
a handful of fresh cilantro
photo-12
so in a skillet, heat up your oil and cook the onion, garlic, and ginger until golden brown. then add in your curry paste and kinda stir fry it all together for a couple minutes. next, add the diced tomatoes, water, and chickpeas and bring to a boil. after the mixture, comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. put in the chopped spinach a little at a time until it's just wilted, add cilantro and serve!
photo-13
i served the curry over jasmine rice and added a healthy portion of sriracha sauce because i like my food VERY spicy. i tried my hand at making naan one time and it failed miserably! but if you are an accomplished naan maker or have access to buying it, i'd say that would be the best accompaniment to the curry.
this is a very simple (if it's too complicated, i won't make it) and comforting meal for a cold night. and paired with some vino? delightful :)

9 comments:

caitlin said...

UM this is basically my DREAM dinner. red wine and indian food?? i totally buy naan at the grocery store all the time because i know that i would fail if i tried to make it on my own... i might just make this someday! thanks for sharing :)

archives vintage said...

haha..i'm right there with ya. i HATE cooking and am not very good at it. but, i do have a few things i can make: homemade pizza, pesto pasta, curry sauces, pancakes, home fries and hash browns. :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

well I eat so that's good that you cook. hehe. MMMM!

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

hah! i'm the same way - i hate cooking (i'm a baker myself). i would be fine eating soup from a can and cookies every night.

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious and so healthy!

Anonymous said...

Looks so easy to make, and delicious!

hannah and landon said...

I kid you not, I am a bit drooly after reading this O_O. I could never tire of chickpeas! NEVER!

Unknown said...

I make a dish really similar to that a lot, and it actually got gold star reviews from my indian friends! I will de-white-ify myself yet...

That big ol' glass of wine looks great. I really like when people do cooking features on their blogs, so this was a real treat to read. Nothing beats healthy, vegetarian food.

C said...

Nom nom nom! So yummy! Joe's big on curry, so he's been treating me to lots of recipes lately. This looks delish!